Saturday, July 15, 2006

Oops!

Went to a wine auction today and got a bit, okay that's an understatement, carried away at the start with the bidding. One of the lots at the start consisted of six bottles of the 1996 Penfolds Bin 707 Cabernet Sauvignon. I was bidding away thinking that my bid was for all six bottles, it turned out to be the price for each bottle!

What I thought was a bargain was an average price for Penfold's flag ship cab sav. Not to mind, I can probably sell them at a wine auction for a better price. Even if I lose money I guess I deserve a stupidity/rashness fine.

All's well that end's well though, in addition to my-week's-worth-of-take-home pay in Bin 707s I also managed to pick up the following at very reasonable prices:

- 3 x 1979 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Hermitage
- 1 x 1947 Seppelt Para Liqueur
- 12 x 2000 Mitchell The Growers Grenache
- 12 x 2003 Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling

The Hermitage, which should nowdays be called shiraz, and the Para I got for sentimental reasons with 1979 being an *self-aggrandising* oustanding vintage. The Mitchell grenache looks so lovely in my wine rack in all it's foil splendour, more on the wine rack later, and was way below it's retail price. On the subject of bargains, the Hanlin Hill riesling was less than half the suggested Langton's price.

But wait, there's more! I also bought a bottle of 1995 Grand Finale Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix Tawny Port, sorry just be Tawny or something thanks to new wine naming laws. This came in a lovely wooden box, albeit particle board veneer, with a perspex cover. As the name suggests and from a guess, it was meant to commemorate the last Grand Prix in Adelaide or the first one in Melbourne. Damn Victorians!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home