Thursday, July 27, 2006

Haggling

Car Wars: Episode V

Whilst the Corolla might have served our family well for the last 6 years it's definitely on it's last legs without further work being done. There's a fair few rust specks dotted around the car, it's starting to smoke and drip fluid, creaks are starting to get noticeable and I just got sick of being tailgated by cars when giving it all it's got when entering lanes. The salesman asked me what I wanted and I gave the high end of the non-fantasy price.

With that in mind he then asked what extras I wanted, I asked for the obligatory mats, towbar, reversing sensors, side steps and six stacker. He did the usual discussion with the manager and came back saying he could give me the price for the car but I wouldn't get any extras. After a few flanking proposals he was quite adamant that any extras would have to be taken out of the price of the car.

He then explained that the side steps were purely for cosmetics purposes, dubious at that, that they served no protective function at all. The stacker could always be gotten later and from another source for less as they could be easily installed. With that in mind we finally agreed to halving the value of the trade-in and putting in the mats, reversing sensors and towbar.

To be continued...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home